Alright ya’ll. Now that we’re friends and all, I feel like I can share my feelings about Pinterest with you. Now, I’m all about Pinterest. Great for inspiration and, let’s be honest here, looking at pictures of kittens cuddling with baby foxes. The best thing about it in my opinion is it keeps all of your crap in one place–especially recipes.
As I scroll through the countless pins of these elaborate meals and these super fancily (is this a word?) decorated cupcakes, my Sweet Brown instincts chime in…
If we’re going to be friends, you’re going to have to start laughing at my jokes, okay?
There are some occasions where I like to make an elaborate meal. I came from a family that cooked and baked and I absolutely love making food for people that I love. And believe me, I toot my ‘Domestic Goddess’ horn all day and night when I do make something worth bragging about. But then there are some days when you haven’t washed your hair in two days and your shirt is covered in cat hair and you’ve been staring at your unmade bed for hours on end and decide to watch the entire First Season of American Horror Story in a two day period because you just have to know why Dylan McDermott is walking around naked. Those are what we call ‘Lazy Girl Days’. And they happen often.
This soup is perfect for a day like that. It’s quick, painless, delicious, and you’ll be back in front of your Netflix in no time. Just, I don’t know, try not to get cat hair in your food.
“Homemade” Creamy Tomato Soup
Adapted from Taste of Home
Yields about 9, 1 cup Servings (Yeah, like anyone measures that. See above picture for my response.)
- 2 cans of Campbell’s Tomato Soup, undiluted (Get the pop open cans if you’re feeling extra lazy...)
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth (Chicken broth would probably be delicious too)
- 1 9oz package of refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. half and half (I used reduced fat and, well, it tasted like whole fat to me)
- 1/2 c. chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 c. fresh baby spinach
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 c. shredded parm, plus more for topping
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Boil tortellini according to package instructions. (I refuse to write this out.)
- Drain tortellini and set aside.
- In that same pot (Lazy. Yes.) dump all of the remaining ingredients, except for the spinach, whisk them up and bring to a light simmer. (Milk will boil over if you don’t babysit it. Whoops.)
- Stir in spinach and tortellini and stir, reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
You’re done. Top with some parm or croutons or make yourself a fancy grilled cheese. Actually, have your man make those grilled cheeses because you put a lot of effort into this soup. Yeah, do that.